Best asset resolution for a 1x3 video wall

(Copied from a github issue)

Hi,
i have a project to use video wall 1 x 3 in portrait mode (90’).
What resolution will be on each screen?
What is the recommended video resolution to upload to get best result?
Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, your wall looks like this:

+-----------------+
|                 |
|                 |
+-----------------+
+-----------------+
|                 |
|                 |
+-----------------+
+-----------------+
|                 |
|                 |
+-----------------+

The total resolution is therefore 1920 x (1080*3) = 1920x3240.

That’s an aspect ratio of 1:1.6875. That’s quite close the the aspect ratio of 1080x1920 content: 1:1.777

You would get the best result (=all screens completely filled) if you upload a 1136x1920 video. Although that’s higher that FullHD, I think the Pi should be able to handle that. If not, you can try the resolution 1080x1824.

Does that help?

same as above setup.
What i want to know is lets say i uploaded 1920x1080 video.
That video will fill to 3 TV. that is 3240 x 1920.
Pi will upscale the video or zoom FHD video.
Reason is i’m worrying about poor video quality due to upscale/zoom.
Thanks.

All the default video walls work by upscaling a single video. Each screen then shows a different part of the full video. The reason for that is that it’s easy from the user’s point of view: You just upload a single video and you’re done. And it’s also a hardware limitation: The Pi can only decode FullHD videos. Anything bigger isn’t possible.

If you want to show a single logical video with a total resolution of 3240x1920 across three Pis, you’ll have to take a different approach that involves manual preprocessing.

You’ll have to split up the source video into three individual parts, each 1080x1920. Upload the three individual videos and create three setups based on this package. Configure each setup as a 1x1 video wall and assign one of the three videos to each of the three setups. Make sure that the playlist in each setup has the exact same duration in all setups.

Finally assign each setup to the correct screen. As all setups have a playlist with identical duration, they will all play their part of the complete video in sync. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks you.
That’s explained what i’m concerned.
Great support as always !
Good day.!